Biochemistry Graduate Representative Committee

@ Indiana University


As a graduate student you will be “employed” by the University to pay for your stipend or salary.  This employment will come in two forms based on where your money is coming from.


AI (Associate Instructor):  You will be assigned a class to teach with a professor.  Responsibilities vary from class to class.  General duties include grading, leading a discussion, running/prepping labs, or managing other AIs.  Since you are working for the school your finances are provided by the graduate school.


RA (Research Associate):  As a research associate you are only responsible for keeping up with the lab work and using the extra time to gather extra data.  The money for your schooling and salary is coming from a grant.  This grant could be your PI’s grant, a government or private grant.  During your first semester the dept. supports you as RA’s while you do your rotations.

How you will be paid

During the School Year:

AI: Each semester you will earn 5 payments.  Typically they will be paid at the end of each month on the last Thursday of the month.  Sometimes the first payment of the semester is delayed due to administrative processing.  How much you are paid is based on which dept. you teach for.

  Biology: $11300

  Chemistry: $10000

  Biochemistry: 10,800


RA: As an RA your payments can either come as a lump some at the start of the semester if you are on a grant or fellowship.  You can also be paid month to month if your PI set it up this way.  The amount varies based on the grant or what dept. your PI is in.


During the Summer:

Typically in the summer you are assigned as an RA and paid by your PI.  The amount you earn in the summer is dependent on what you earned during the school year.  The amount you are paid is the difference owed of your guaranteed stipend.  This is split into two payments: paid on the last days of the months of June and July. 

Student Fees

While you are supported as a student with fee remissions, some school fees are not supported by this remission.  These fees are also NOT tax deductible.  How much you pay per semester is based on whether your not you are in state or out of state and international vs domestic:


  Spring and Fall Semesters-12 hours:


  Out-of-state: $1093

  Summer Semester-6 Hours (When you enroll):


  Out-of-state: $725


What is G901?

G901 is a 6 credit hour per semester course for senior graduate students who have completed all it has significantly reduced tuition costs and students enrolled in G901 are no longer required to pay all the students fees, but are instead charged a “Dissertation Research Fee”. In Fall 2015, this fee was $150. Enrollment in G901 is limited to six semesters.


Requirements for enrolling in G901:

-  Complete 90 credit hours

-  Complete all major and minor courses

o  Once on G901, students cannot take any other classes for credit.  Therefore, all coursework must be completed before beginning G901.

-  Pass the prelim exam

-  Complete the Nomination to Candidacy Form

o  Once the above requirements have been met, students will receive an e-mail from the department with instructions for filling out the “Nomination to Candidacy” form.  A version of these instructions from Fall 2014 are below:

The Nomination to Candidacy for the Ph.D. form is available to the students through OneStart. The link to the form can be found in the “University Graduate School Forms” page, which is in the left margin in OneStart under “Group Quick Links”.

 1.  The students will fill in the form, including entering their Committee members network ids.

2.  When they submit their document, they will receive an email giving them their document id and links to: the document and to instructions on how to track it. Students are responsible to track their document.

 3.  The document will route to Biochemistry graduate office and will be asked to enter:

a)   The date the student’s candidacy was approved by the University Graduate School and submit list of required courses

b)  To indicate whether or not the committee members listed are endorsed faculty

c)  If a student has an outside committee member, you are asked to “approve” them. By approving, you will be proxy signing for them.

 4.  Then the Thesis Committee will receive the document. All members will receive the document at the same time and can approve the document in any order. The document will be read-only at this point, if they need a correction to be made, they will need to return the document to either the student or Biochemistry graduate office.

G901 is a status where you are finishing up your thesis. You are no longer enrolling in classes:  You reach G901 when you satisfy the following requirements:

  You have successfully completed 90 credit hours:

  You have finished your minor

  You have successfully passed your preliminary exam and have been nominated for PhD candidacy. 


You may only be on G901 for a total of six semesters.  Setting your status to G901 significantly lowers your student fees owed per semester.


  Out-of-state: $150


This can be a very difficult process to deal with as a graduate student.  If you are paid a check on a month-to-month basis, taxes will be taken out of your income and you will receive a W-2 each year to fill out your taxes.  Simply use the W-2 to fill out your taxes like any other job.  None of the fees you paid are tax deductible. 


If you are paid a lump sum at all during the year, taxes are NOT removed from these payments.  It is important that you set a side approximately ¼ of these lump sums to pay for taxes each year.  If you know that during a full calendar year you will be paid lump sums, you will have to make quarterly payments to the IRS just as normal people pay taxes from each of their payments.  If it all during the calendar year you have taxes being taken out of paychecks, this is usually sufficient to satisfy the IRS requirements for payments throughout the year.